Wednesday, May 04, 2011

Yoni Wolf - "The Vowels, Pt. 2" Live in San Francisco

Photo: Lena Bedoyan

Yoni & Josiah Wolf
Swedish American Hall
San Francisco
Saturday April 23rd 2011

"The Vowels, Pt. 2"

Once I realized the final night of Yoni's recent 6 city tour ended on a Saturday evening in San Francisco I had to try to make things happen. Yoni greenlighted the mission on one condition; due to the fact that new WHY? songs were being performed that haven't even been recorded yet I was not to release the recording online or off without his permission. I gave my word and booked a flight.

Up until that weekend I had zero contacts in San Francisco so I broke the No Hotels rule and found a place in The Castro a few doors down from the venue for $65 a night. Friday night consisted of a stellar meal at El Castillito on Church Street and the closing down of Zeitgeist. On Saturday morning I began The Great Mission Street Taquería Crawl of 2011 with the stand out of course being El Farolito.

Bay Area archivists had warned me about the room's sound but with Eli being the only FOH on this tour Yoni had previously worked with he was able to dial it in quite nicely. A huge thanks to The Swedish American Hall staff for allowing me to get the 4 tracks. Pleasant interactions the entire night. Much respect to Zach Boes for his efforts in post.

To be honest I didn't see much of the city because I spent most of my short stay walking around The Mission. There will be a next time.

"I'm not a ladies man, I'm a landmine."

No comments: