Sunday, September 09, 2007

P.O.S. Comes Home...

I was so jazzed to tape one of the P.O.S. homecoming show. I won't lie, I like an AA show, I like getting home by 10 but when I saw Kill the Vultures on on the Late bill that pretty much made the decision for me. No offense to Sarah Johnson who are great and were playing the AA show. I was also looking forward to seeing the Millionth Word (no site or recordings, sup with that) again who I had taped at the Triple Rock's 7-7-07 show. Catching a Digitata set is always a good time so it was a solid bill all the way around.

I got some tickets for the better half and I early figuring it was going to sell out. Our good friend Sarah came with us but I headed down early an hour ahead of the ladies to set up. I had talked to Alexei from KTV earlier in the day about getting in a few minutes before doors but ended up arriving a bit before he was there. I politely told the guy at the side door that I had a ticket in hand and permission from the bands to tape. Long story short (or maybe not so short) I was told that P.O.S.'s manager was not going to allow taping that night because he was playing new material. Realizing that I wasn't going to be able to tape P.O.S.'s set I wasn't going to just walk away. I asked if I could please have a minute to speak with his manger and he was cool enough to come out and chat with me. I will say right now that he was polite about the whole deal. I gave him my word that I would tape the first 3 bands and the first 3 bands only. Once I assured him that the mics were coming down after KTV's set he was willing to let me in to set up my stand as long as I came back out and stood in line to get in. I'm not an ego maniac but being that I had a ticket in my hand and that it's usually not a problem for the Entry or a number of other Twin Cities venues to let someone chill after setting up this was a little annoying. He could have been a prick but he was being really cool about so I was down to follow this order.

At some point during this exchange outside Stef walked by the doorway and I politely brought him into the conversation. I thought things might change for about 15 seconds. I mentioned to his manger that I had taped Doomtree and Building Better Bombs several times and that Stef knows I do not circulate things I am asked not to. Stef did back me up on this saying that he really appreciated the fact that I come out and tape shows and abide by requests to not circulate certain sets. The two of them basically told me that they believed that I would not circulate the recording but even still had to take all possible precautions regardless. This was fair enough and in the end they were even a little apologetic.

Did I want to tape all 4 sets? Yes. Did I want to make enemies, risking future opportunities to tape Doomtree and Building Better Bombs? Nope.

I'm going to wrap this up and maybe come back for an edit. Like anyone will be reading this anyways!

I made audience and soundboard recordings for the first 3 bands.
ALL three sets were tight. The P.O.S. tape would have smoked.

P.O.S.'s set was awesome as well, super duper fun. I really wanted to tape the last half of the set (after all of the old and "new P.O.S. songs" were played) which was basically a Doomtree show but being Sneaky McSneakerson isn't going to do much in the way of building a reputation as an honest taper. A lot of the same material from the Turf Club show in July was played. That's one of my favorite tapes and the crew record is going to be sick. I'm excited and you should be too.

Hey thanks for reading this (Sarah?)...maybe I just needed to vent a little bit. Don't worry Stef, I still love you.

No comments: