Sunday, September 09, 2007

Roma di Luna CD Release

Roma di Luna is without a doubt one of my favorite Minneapolis bands and the debut LP is amazing. This show had been on my schedule for a while, as soon as I found out about it. I was even more excited that it was going to be held at the stellar sounding Cedar Cultural Center.

I had never seen JoAnna James before but really enjoyed her set. She played a solid hour with her band.

I'm not going to yack on and on about Roma di Luna's set. It was one of the best shows I have seen in a long time. All and all it was just over an hour including the two song encore. The only other thing I could have ask for was Alexei doing the title track from the LP but it's understand that perhaps they wanted to keep the vibe 'up beat.' They had brought Steve into the fold on drums at the Entry back in March but this was the first time I had seen them with a full band. Ben Durant from Crazy Beast Studio in NE Minneapolis who recorded both the EP and the LP was on electric guitar.
Steve Yasgar (Be Lonna, Askeleton, The Swiss Army, Nick Robin and others) was on drums. JG Everest was on bass and vocals. Mike Rossetto from Spaghetti Western String Co. was on banjo and James Buckley (James Buckley trio, Mystery Palace, Dubsack, Robert Skoro) was on upright bass for the Neutral Milk Hotel cover of In the Aeroplane Over the Sea which brilliantly closes the LP.

My friend Dean and I had headed down together to each tape audio of the show. We ended up running into two other local tapers. Geek fest at the Cedar. Add to that 3-4 video cameras and numerous video people trying to get patched out of the board...the event was well documented. They could make a swell DVD once everything is pulled together.

No comments: