Thursday, March 29, 2012

An Update?

I know it's been kind of quiet around here on the posting of live recordings front but as I've mentioned shows are still being recorded. For whatever reason I've just been less motivated to get them online. Been making more time to spend with friends and enjoy being outside. I suppose I did go from recording 3 or 4 shows a week to 1 or 3 but it's still something that I find quite fulfilling. Sometimes I think it would be neat to release one recording each week for a year. Yeah let's do that.

Friday 3/23 - You know anytime Cursive comes to town I'm going to be there. I'll admit it was very strange to see them book The 400 Bar (well not really with the 400's Omaha times but still). I hadn't been to the 400 for 2 years or so since City on the Make stopped playing there. I will say that I had a great time. The staff were all very friendly and the room sounded fantastic. Conduits and Cymbals Eat Guitars opened. The show was sold out in advance with no tickets available at the door. My friend Patrick and one of his buddy's shot video with two cameras. I got audience and soundboard audio so who knows what kind of project will come of that.

Made sure to think Matt Cursive for allowing the documentation to go down. My friend Josh and I talked with Tim til bar close...not one of those weird stalker fan boy talks but for the most part what Tim has been up to lately as far as writings outside of music. I joked with him about not being able to chase tots with whiskey in the greenroom of The Triple Rock this time around. I have much respect for the man and Cursive as a whole.

Saturday night I ended up staying at The Funeral and the Twilight house. Ben and I conversed until 5am and unfortunately I did little sleeping in. Sunday afternoon Carly, Manny, Jennifer and went over to Taco Taxi, home of excellent food and one of the best taquerías in the city. I proceeded to head back to TFATT house to nap it up on the couch. When I woke up it was time to head to Honey in Northeast. I had heard mixed reviews about the place from friends but was pleasantly surprised to find Mr. Jon Davis running front of house. He mentioned that they had upgraded the sound system a month ago and that it wasn't really the same place. With all that said, after helping TFATT load in I went down the street to Whitey's which is one of the best neighborhood bars around in my book. Ended up staying there for an hour and a half enjoy some chicken nachos, homemade chili and talking to some good people. Back down the street I really enjoyed my time at Honey. Friendly staff, nice basement layout and Jon had TFATT dialed in. I would definitely recommend people check it out. Was it kind of nice enjoying a night of live music without recording it? Doesn't happen often in my shoes but yes it was.

No comments: