Saturday, January 09, 2010

inBOIL @ The Nomad

320kbps mp3s can be had here.

inBOIL
The Nomad
Minneapolis, MN
Thursday January 7th 2009

Taper: empty (emptystapes AT gmail DOT com)
Location: AB, 5' LOC, 6' back, ~7' ^
Source: Studio Project C4s > Silver Quad customs > UA-5 (BM2p+) > iRiver h120 (Optical @ 16bit 44.1kHz WAV)
Transfer: h120 > USB 2.0 > PC [WAV > RazorLame > 320kbps mp3]
Edit: CD Wave (tracking) Sound Forge 10 (fades)

This Recording is for Promotional & Archival Purposes Only.

01. How Many Times?
02. Bro-choice
03. Hotdoggin'
04. Starin' at the Moon
05. Axis and Allies
06. When I Die
07. This Aching Heart
08. I Miss the War
09. Machines
10. A Tomato in the Sun

Phil Mahlstadt - guitar, vocals
Kyle Sobczak - bass
Elliott Kozel - drums
Michael Sienkowski - keys

Myspace

So apparently Phil is only in bands that leave you looking for your jaw on the floor. I kind of like this about him. There on 10 tracks on inBOIL's debut album and I haven't found myself skipping any of them. I was given a choice of titles and had to go with "No Makeup Never! Not Now, Not While I'm Dead" without any second thought. Sure, I'm probably substituting definitions but in a dark corner of the Nomad it all rang true. In a way I'm glad I obtained a copy on the upswing. Hearing "How Many Times?" "Starin' at the Moon," "This Aching Heart" and "A Tomato in the Sun" a year ago would have probably left me in a sobbing mess on the floor and that's always embarrassing, right? This is no doubt a compliment to Phil's song writing. While it's not likely "Machines" will leave you in a ball on the floor it's still one of the best songs I've heard in years. Word is inBOIL will have a proper release show for the album the first weekend in February so keep an eye out for that. Every Thursday during the month of January you can stop down to The Nomad to catch great local bands and support the Sisters Camelot fundraiser.

1 comment:

Josué MIchel Savoie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.