Saturday, November 14, 2009

The Mainroom (dun dun dun)

I haven't been back since last May. After the last Turf Club Lookbook show Grant and I spoke about how jazzy a Lookbook tape from the Mainroom would be. It was time to lift the boycott. Not even a Jack's pizza w/ jalapenos added and drizzle outside would stop me from catching the 7 to the train. I know it's awfully trendy and trite speak snide about people who are different from you but you'll have to pardon me for a minute. The line contained a high ratio of suburban (maybe some urban?) dbags and debutantes. It's cool, people of all flavors deserve to catch a show in the most historic and best sounding club in town.

Once inside I partially set up knowing what's about to happen next. I was told "No audio" to which I reply "Not even for Lookbook?" "No audio at all." Knowing that Lookbook was kind enough to hook up the list for me to record I wanted to push a little bit but not having been there for 6 months I didn't want to make trouble for myself or other tapers who had since recorded a slew of jammy jam bands. I ended it with a quick "OK, no problem, have a good night" and receive a "Thanks man" in return. Now, I'm not out to step on toes but seeing that I had no interest in recording Solid Gold or The Hood Internet in the first place I figured it was worth one call to Grant. I politely explained the situation and mentioned that if I didn't get to record tonight that's no problem whatsoever. He was going to be there shortly and offered to talk to C for me. This was totally unprovoked by me but a nice gesture nonetheless. I hadn't seen Top Gun muted with subtitles in a minute so I stuck around.

About 30 minutes later I had permission to tape Lookbook but Lookbook only and was to pack it up after their set was over. This fit the original plan so I was truly grateful for the opportunity. For my own amusement I was trying to figure out the deal. Maybe the house didn't want D&Ds tripping over a stand at a sold out show? Completely understandable but I know Sound Tribe Sector 9 had capacity glow sticks and got taped. I was recording in the Entry that night. Maybe a "section" was set up that night per request of the band. Were the Hood Internet not caught up on their ASCAP fees? I'm sure they are. Did Solid Gold have a new batch of Brooklyn bound beauties, of which they didn't want the 1s & 0s captured? It's never a good sign when a band reads & ignores your murdochspace request to record. Hmm, they didn't mind back in June '08 at the Turf. I wonder if I had cell contact with Cursive or Mogwai in May if the outcomes would have been different? Something tells me if I had caught Tim outside smoking that he would have put in a good word.

Anyways, just a little rambling and thanks if you took the time out of your day to make it this far. I have nothing but respect for the establishment and what they provide for the community. What I do is a privilege and not a right anyways so if it doesn't happen some nights then it just doesn't happen. No one gets hurt or goes to prison, we're just one less archival document that folks may not care about in 20 years anyways. Regardless, sincere thank yous are in order for the Mainroom and it's staff as well as Grant and Lookbook. I will certainly continue to support both.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

i went to the show with my girl last night as well, and shit was crazy. it was amazing (both in a good and bad way) to see the evolution that has happened with solid gold and lookbook since i saw them play turf club together last january... especially in terms of the composition and size of their crowds. i guess the current really does have A LOT of pull in the burbs around here.