Friday, November 20, 2009

Fuck Buttons or Sleeping in the Aviary?

Having not had much luck recording Fuck Buttons the last time they played The Triple Rock I was leaning towards a Mute Era miniseries / Vic Chesnutt combo. Still, I thought I might stop in to see what the official word was this time around. Their FOH/TM was leery at first, asking me a few more than reasonable questions in a thick English accent. I assured him this was not for monetary gain and a TR manager was kind enough to vouch for me. Clearance was given but this changed things a bit. Two bands. Ten and Eleven. Normally I would be very aroused by this format but it only proved to create conflict. Now I needed to figure out how to record as much as possible at The Nomad and still make it back down in time to get the Fuck Buttons set. This predicament was soon semi-remedied when a friend in the bar offered the use of a mic stand he had in his trunk. Yes, we're sometimes six thick, you just don't notice us. With a stand taped down at The Triple Rock I headed down the street to set up at The Nomad.

Five band bills are always interesting but fortunate for everyone at 501 Cedar all 5 bands brought their salt. I caught Mute Era with Gospel Gossip at The Turf Club last June. There are more than one great rock duos in town but Mute Era are doing something completely different and you should definitely check it out. They didn't get a miniseries by being a couple of schmucks! Listen to the tracks. I'm not about to lie to anyone, Sleeping in the Aviary drew me to the show. First time seeing Teenage Moods but I was very surprised and impressed by what the three of them do. I predict good things. Also my first time catching Leisure Birds. Everyone knows how good these guys are so I'll just leave it at that. I was a supporter of Thunder in the Valley so this was another set that I had been looking forward to. Nick had requested a copy of the December '07 TITV tape (The Nomad) the night before at the STNNNG show. The drop was made. I remember listening to that recording for a long time. Dante & the Lobster were in attendance to release their new album and headline the evening. Go. Pick. Up. This. CD.

I started to think about the lonely stand at The Triple Rock and I started to realize that the Fuck Buttons set was not going to get recorded. Neither would Vic's across the street. The thousands of people reading this may be wondering why? I'm not going to blame it on a 5 band bill nor the late start. Irrelevant I say! I'm going with (C.) The music coming through the PA. After each band finished their agreeable 30 minute set I had a persistent itch to stay for the next one. This continued for the duration of the evening. Ill live tapes forthcoming.

No comments: